Europe

French officials think as many as 20 plotters may be behind Paris attacks

By Anthony Faiola, Souad Mekhennet

November 16, 2015 at 4:32 AM

Watch more!
French police issued an urgent alert and released a photo of an eighth suspect in the Paris attacks that killed at least 132 people on Nov. 13. (The Washington Post)

European authorities staged an international manhunt Sunday for a 26-year-old “dangerous individual,” one of three brothers involved in the deadly attacks on Paris, even as an image took shape of a larger network of terrorists that could involve as many as 20 plotters.

At least eight assailants in three death squads are thought to have directly carried out Friday’s assault, which is being dubbed France’s 9/11. Six detonated their suicide belts. Police shot and killed one. French police on Sunday issued an urgent alert and released a photo of an eighth suspect: the 5-foot-7-inch Salah Abdeslam, a Belgian-born French national.

The manhunt came as France detained seven people for questioning and Belgian officials detained seven more in connection with the siege that killed at least 132 people. The international dragnet and investigation now stretch from the Aegean Sea to the teeming Paris suburbs.

Early Monday, the Paris prosecutor’s office said two more of the suicide bombers had been identified. One suicide bomber who blew himself up in the Bataclan music hall Friday night was Samy Amimour, a 28-year-old Frenchman charged in a terrorism investigation in 2012, the Associated Press reported. He had been placed under judicial supervision but dropped off the radar and was the subject of an international arrest warrant.

The second, who blew himself up outside the national soccer stadium, was found with a Syrian passport with the name Ahmad Al Mohammad, a 25-year-old born in Idlib. The prosecutor’s office says fingerprints from the attacker match those of someone who passed through Greece in October, the AP said.

Overnight Sunday, at least three people were taken into custody in the southern city of Toulouse in a raid that Agence France-Press reports was part of a broader anti-terrorism operation and not the investigation into Friday’s Parisian attacks. The raids, conducted under the state of emergency in place throughout the country since Friday night, occurred in several locations in the Mirail district, home of Mohamed Merah, the islamic militant who carried out a series of deadly attacks near Toulouse in 2012.

Several arrests also took place overnight near Lyon, according to Le Monde.

France responded on Sunday to the act of terrorism it blamed on the Islamic State with airstrikes on the group’s Syrian stronghold, the city of Raqqa.

Yet Europeans and their governments were confronting a chilling reality at home. A rogues’ gallery of homegrown terrorists with links to Islamist groups has become large enough — and is acting stealthily enough — to make tracking them increasingly difficult for the region’s intelligence agencies.

A senior official familiar with the investigation said authorities suspected that as many as 20 people in Europe had been involved in planning, supporting and executing the attack. Just as in January, when two brothers, Said and Chérif Kouachi, staged a bloody siege in Paris, some of the attackers this time were also related. Brahim Abdeslam, 31, blew himself up Friday night inside a busy cafe. His 26-year-old brother, Salah, who allegedly rented a car that was used in one of the attacks, is on the run. A third unnamed brother was apprehended in Belgium.

President Obama and French President Francois Hollande pay their respects at the Bataclan concert hall, one of the attack sites. (Philippe Wojazer/AP)
In the wake of the terrorist attacks on Paris, French soldiers patrol sparsely populated tourist sights such as the Louvre Museum. Officials say tourism has plummeted in some museums by up to half, but analysts say that it is only a temporary trend. (Linda Davidson/The Washington Post)
Few tourists participate in a riverboat cruise on the Seine. (Linda Davidson/The Washington Post)
People sing the French national anthem on the Place de la Republique in Paris. (Etienne Laurent/European Pressphoto Agency)
A vigil in front of a memorial at the Capitole in Toulouse, France. (Guillaume Horcajuelo/European Pressphoto Agency)
A woman lights a candle during a vigil in Toulouse. (Guillaume Horcajuelo/European Pressphoto Agency)
Pictures of victims at a makeshift memorial outside the Bataclan concert hall in Paris. (Peter Dejong/AP)
Jean-Marie de Peretti mourns the loss of his daughter Aurlie, 33, one of the victims of the attack on the Bataclan concert hall. (Peter Dejong/AP)
People hold placards reading United with the French people against integrism at a memorial outside the Bataclan concert hall. (Adrien Morlent/AFP/Getty Images)
Flowers rest in a hole left by bullets in the attack on Le Carillon restaurant in Paris. (Benoit Tessier/Reuters)
A cafe attacked by a hail of bullets draws a crowd of mourners and bouquets three days after the assault. (Laurence Geai/For The Washington Post)
Mourners observe a moment of silence in front of Le Carillon, a Parisian cafe that was attacked last week. (Laurence Geai/For The Washington Post)
People hold hands in Lyon, France, during a minute of silence a moment that was observed across the grieving nation Monday. (Laurent Cipriani/AP)
A French flag is nestled among the flowers left in front of the Bataclan concert hall in memory of the people who died there last week. (David Ramos/Getty Images)
From left, French Education Minister Najat Vallaud-Belkacem, French President Franois Hollande and French Prime Minister Manuel Valls stand among students during a minute of silence at Sorbonne University in Paris. (Pool/Reuters)
Residents walk by the apartment building in a northern suburb in Paris where police raided the home of Samy Amimour, who blew himself up at the Bataclan music hall Friday night. (Linda Davidson/The Washington Post)
A soldier patrols at Notre Dame cathedral in Paris. (Peter Dejong/AP)
French soldiers patrol in front of Sacr Coeur basilica in Paris. (Yoan Valat/European Pressphoto Agency)
A man is detained by a police officer after a raid in the Mirail district in Toulouse in southwestern France. (AP)
In Marseille, France, a crowd gathers around candles that were arranged to spell out the French word for peace in the old harbor area. (Boris Horvat/AFP/Getty Images)
Flowers, candles and other tokens accumulate in front of the Bataclan music hall in Paris. (Laurence Geai/For The Washington Post)
Pedestrians pause in front of the Bataclan music hall, where at least 89 people were killed Friday. (Laurence Geai/For The Washington Post)
Authorities walk along a building in Strasbourg, France. By late Monday, French and Belgian officials investigating the Paris attacks had conducted more than 160 raids. (Frederick Florin/AFP/Getty Images)
The Eiffel Tower is illuminated with the colors of the French flag to pay tribute to Pariss victims. The attraction, which closed in the wake of Fridays attacks, reopened to the public Monday. (Charles Platiau/Reuters)
French soldiers patrol the Eiffel Tower, which remained closed on the first of three days of national mourning in Paris. Thousands of French troops deployed around Paris on Sunday, and tourist sites were shuttered. (Peter Dejong/AP)
A soldier patrols in front of Notre Dame. (Christophe Ena/AP)
People mourn in front of a memorial near the Bataclan concert venue in Paris. (Julien Warnand/European Pressphoto Agency)
People gather at the site of the attacks on restaurant Le Petit Cambodge and the Carillon Hotel. (Laurence Geai/for The Washington Post)
People lay flowers and candles in front of the Petit Cambodge restaurant in Paris. (Ian Langsdon/European Pressphoto Agency)
People gather in front of the cafe La Bonne Biere, in central Paris. (Laurence Geai/for The Washington Post)
People pay their respects at Le Carillon restaurant, one of the attack sites in Paris. (Benoit Tessier/Reuters)
Roses are placed in the bullet holes in the terrace window of Le Carillon restaurant in Paris. (Ian Langsdon/European Pressphoto Agency)
Broken glass is strewn across the floor inside the restaurant on Rue de Charonne in Paris where the attacks took place Friday. (Frank Augstein/AP)
People at the makeshift memorial at the Bataclan concert venue. (Virginie Nguyen Hoang/for The Washington Post)
A woman reacts at a makeshift memorial near the Bataclan concert hall in Paris. (Miguel Medina/AFP/Getty Images)
A delegation of clerics led by imam Hassen Chalghoumi, president of the Conference of Imams of France, gather in front of the Bataclan concert venue. They were joined by writer Marek Halter and rabbis from Paris. (Virginie Nguyen Hoang/for The Washington Post)
Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy leaves the Elysee Palace after a meeting with France's current president, Franois Hollande, right. Hollande vowed to attack the Islamic State group without mercy. (Jacques Brinon/AP)
An armed French police officer stands guard at the border between France and Italy as law enforcement checks vehicles and verifies the identities of travelers in Menton, France. (Eric Gaillard/Reuters)
Young people gesture for peace at Place de la Republique in Paris. (Virginie Nguyen Hoang/for The Washington Post)
French police in full bulletproof gear return after a false alert that sent hundreds running off the Place de la Republique in Paris. (Jerome Delay/AP)
A man carries two children after panic broke out among mourners who paid their respects at the attack sites at restaurant Le Petit Cambodge and the Carillon Hotel in Paris. (Peter Dejong/AP)
Police react to a suspicious vehicle near La Carillon restaurant. (Pascal Rossignol/Reuters)
A man watches fire trucks drive around Paris in the evening. A hoax created an atmosphere of panic inside Paris at Place de la Republique. (Virginie Nguyen Hoang/for The Washington Post)
Thousands of people wait for a Mass at Notre Dame cathedral. (Virginie Nguyen Hoang/for The Washington Post)
A bird flies in front of the Eiffel Tower, which remained closed in Paris. (Daniel Ochoa De Olza/AP)
Photo Gallery: The scene in France after bloody rampage stuns Paris

It became evident, in fact, that Brussels was a major base of operations for the Paris attacks, after French police seized a car rented in Belgium and then uncovered a fortuitous clue: a discarded parking ticket from the Brussels suburb of Molenbeek, a district known as a breeding ground for jihadists.

At least two of the eight known attackers had spent time in Syria, according to two European intelligence officials, who like many interviewed for this article spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the ongoing investigation. One of them, Bilal Hadfi, a 20-year-old French national, was known to have returned from the Middle East to Belgium. He then disappeared from the radar of the Belgian security services.

One senior European intelligence official offered a mea culpa: “That so many people, some of whom had been known to police, had been able to plot such a large attack, using suicide explosive belts, weapons, without the intelligence services knowing — that’s a major failure of the intelligence services.”

This secular city, consecrated to personal liberties, found itself plunged into a new normal of tension. Police found a car with Kalashnikovs inside in the eastern suburb of Montreuil. On Wednesday, President François Hollande will present a bill to the National Assembly calling for a three-month state of emergency — a move granting exceptional police powers to restrict freedom of movement and gatherings at public places.

On Sunday night, the sound of what may have been a firecracker, or a light fixture blowing a circuit breaker at a restaurant near the Place de la Republique, where a vigil was taking place, ignited an extraordinary panic. People stampeded out of restaurants, bars and stores across a two-mile-wide sector of the city as false warnings of gunshots erupted on Twitter. Some dived into news vans. Hotels turned off their lights as employees huddled behind chairs. One woman flung herself into the Canal St. Martin.

“Suddenly people were running and screaming everywhere, going in every direction,” said Omar Zahiri, a 50-year-old lawyer attending the vigil. “I said, ‘Stop running like a crazy person, calm down.’ But they didn’t. They kept running.”

An incomplete picture of the perpetrators began to emerge. A Syrian passport was found at the stadium where three suicide bombers blew themselves up; it may have belonged to one of them. A senior European security official said the name in the passport was Ahmad Almohammad. According to the passport, he was 25 and was born in Idlib, Syria.

Officials have not conclusively connected the document to any of the bombers. But Greek authorities, following through on a request from the French, traced the Syrian passport to a refugee who arrived on the Aegean island of Leros on Oct. 3 with 198 other people on a migrant boat. The possible link was enough to ignite fresh calls by some to end the huge flow of refugees pouring into Europe.

At a Group of 20 summit in Antalya, Turkey, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker urged world leaders not to treat asylum seekers as terrorists in the wake of the Paris attacks. The people who organized and carried out the attacks “are exactly those who the refugees are fleeing,” he told reporters, adding that “there is no need to revise the European Union’s entire refugee policy.”

Other assailants, however, appeared to fit an emerging pattern among Europe’s homegrown extremists — petty criminals who were radicalized and became far more religious than their parents.

A case in point is Ismael Omar Mostefai, a 29-year-old French national who blew himself up after gunning down victims alongside two other suicide bombers at a Paris music hall. He had a criminal record, French officials said, and was picked up for eight minor offenses between 2004 and 2010, including driving without a license.

In 2010, however, Mostefai came on the radar screen of French intelligence because of his association with radical Islamists at a mosque in Lucé, near Chartres, a city southwest of Paris. The mosque is a modest, wooden-shuttered building surrounded by wrought-iron railings. Its leaders were bewildered to find themselves in the limelight Sunday. They called a news conference to deny any connection to extremism. The current administration, they said, took over in 2013 — after Mostefai had left the area — and they said no one recalled ever seeing him there.

Mostefai is thought to have traveled to Syria in the winter of 2013, a French police official familiar with the case said. “That is when we lost track of him,” the official said.

During his youth, Mostefai lived in a middle-class, predominantly Arab neighborhood in the Paris suburb of Courcouronne. Kamel Ousti, 53, a neighbor and family friend, said Mostefai grew up in a modest apartment on Rue Pont Amar, with three brothers; two sisters; a father, who was a deliveryman of Algerian descent; and a mother who was a Portuguese convert to Islam.

When Mostefai was 13, the family received an eviction notice because of his criminal tendencies. “Ismael was kind of a troublemaker, he used to steal things, like mobile phones,” Ousti said. Ousti recalled one traumatic event in the family’s history. During a trip to Algeria, in 2000, Ousti said they went to the beach, where Mostefai’s brother-in-law and two nephews drowned in the surf.

The family eventually moved to Chartres, where residents today recall his family as religious but not extremely so. Mostefai’s mother wore a headscarf, but his sisters did not.

Ousti last saw Mostefai four years ago. “He was the kind of kid who wouldn’t talk that much. If you ask me, the little lamb turned into a monster.”

Mostefai’s brother, who surrendered for questioning in a southeastern suburb of Paris, told the Agence France-Presse news service that he had broken off all ties with his brother years ago. The 34-year-old man, who was not identified, said Mostefai had moved back to Algeria with his young daughter. He said he was shocked to learn that his brother was involved in the attacks.

French SWAT teams searched the brother’s home and that of Mostefai’s father, outside Paris, for three hours Saturday night, according to RTL radio.

“What does this have to do with us?” the brother’s wife told AFP in tears. “We haven’t spoken to him in years. I hope we’ll be left alone. We have a quiet little life, and this is starting to worry me.”

Cléophée Demoustier, Virgile Demoustier, Karla Adam and Monique El-Faizy in Paris; Steven Mufson in Brussels; and Elinda Labropoulou in Athens contributed to this report.


Anthony Faiola is The Post's Berlin bureau chief. Faiola joined the Post in 1994, since then reporting for the paper from six continents and serving as bureau chief in Tokyo, Buenos Aires, New York and London.

Souad Mekhennet, co-author of “The Eternal Nazi,” is a correspondent on the national security desk.

Outbrain